The way the cookie crumbles

Since I was a little girl I’ve loved baking. I may have mentioned this before 😉 . My first foray into the kitchen was an independently made Victoria Sandwich at around the age of 7 and I’ve never looked back. Of late my baking has taken something of a back seat, due to a focus on healthy eating and losing weight, but I still love and occasionally miss the process of taking a seemingly innocuous bunch of ingredients and turning them in to something that look, smell and taste amazing.

Last week we had a couple of days where the weather wasn’t so great and decided to stay indoors, not something you do lightly with a ball of energy toddler. First plan was to make a new batch of Moon Sand (our first attempt at which I wrote about here). This time however Oscar showed much more interest in the actual process of making it. To the point where I got him a chair, pulled it up to the work surface and let him pour the cornflour in to the pan. He even, after a while, gave the whole thing a stir. He was mesmerised by the process and that got me thinking.

On Thursday it snowed. Not particularly badly, but enough to stop this wimp of a mother wanting to go out and so I decided to let the boy have a crack at baking. I chose a recipe that utilised what I had in the house (which did not include eggs. I know, eggless baking? Challenge accepted!) I found this recipe for Oatmeal Raisin cookies over on the blog, TransatlanticBlonde, whose son is allergic to eggs. It was a great one to start Oscar on, as the measurements were in cups, which needs minimal fuss (although I can’t help it, I prefer grams and scales. I guess it’s just what you’re used to). We switched the plain flour for Dove Farm gluten free plain flour (as Oscar is eating GF at the moment) and left out the vanilla (as we didn’t have any!) Any who, I scooped the ingredients out and Oscar poured them into my giant Maslin pan. I chose to use this rather than a mixing bowl because of its wide base and large capacity, meaning Oscar could really see what was going on as the mixture took shape.

Adding ingredients

Adding ingredients

Enjoying the process

Enjoying the process

And look at what was going on, he really did. I can honestly say I’ve never seen him so attentive to an activity we’ve done together. And we really did do it together. I’d measure, he’d pour and we’d stir. He was even repeating words I was saying, such as “OK, “so” and “now”. Believe it or not he even had a crack at “Cinnamon”! At no point did he get bored or look away or want to do things ‘his way’. Even when I was scooping the mixture onto the baking sheets, he watched until the very last one was done and in the oven. And he watched as I took them out the oven, interested in what happens now. And when I let him have one, well… Let’s just say his new word of the week is “cookie”!

Egg free, gluten free, oatmeal raisin cookies

Egg free, gluten free, oatmeal raisin cookies

I never expected baking to be such a resounding success with my boy, but that’s the thing I guess. You never know until you try. It’s been such as success in fact that we’ve just made another batch, using a (slightly more complicated) recipe from Jamie Oliver. He was just as involved and interested as the first time round. And really what could be more gratifying than throwing a bunch of ingredients into a pan and having cookies come out at the end?

I think we may have found a shared love. I can’t wait til he’s old enough to stay up for Bake Off with me!

image

Gluten free Oat and Raisin Cookies

image

A shared love

Share the Joy linky at bodfortea.co.uk
BakedPotato Mummy
Free From Farmhouse

Comments

1. LOVE this! What a fab way to get kids involved in baking. My two are more concerned with what comes out of the oven than how it all gets there in the first place to be honest, but I’m persevering just so that one day we have a moment just like yours. Thanks for linking this up at #sharethejoy x

• mrssavageangel says:

Thank you so much Michelle. Sorry I haven’t tweeted it I will do. Ran out of time this morning. You know how it goes. 🙂

2. Ah that’s brilliant! So glad he enjoyed it and they turned out well. They look delicious! Funnily enough I’ve promised my little girl that we will bake this afternoon so wish me luck! x

#sharethejoy

• mrssavageangel says:

Thank you so much Katie! It was such an enormous shock, I had no idea baking would be such a success. If you knew Oscar you’d understand why 😉 Hope your baking went well too!

3. How awesome! It’s great when you find an activity that the kids enjoy just as much as us adults! The cookies look delicious, glad you both had a great time making them xx

• mrssavageangel says:

It really is a wonderful feeling – he wants to help with all the cooking now! Thank you so much for your comment and sorry for the delay in replying – it went into the spam file by mistake! Have a great day!

4. It’s lovely to get the little ones involved in the kitchen, isn’t it. My older two love it. I have yet to try baking something with my 2yo. I’m sure she’d love it, too! #LittleChefs

• mrssavageangel says:

I had no idea he’d enjoy it as much as he does I must say. He’s not really a sit down crafty type, but he adores baking and cooking. Yesterday we made pulled pork and burgers together. It was fab!

5. I love this! I have a little baker too, so much so he imaginary bakes soup and cake and cups of tea and tells you of things are too hot!! I try do some baking with him once a week, in reality it is to satisfy my cake needs but it provides great entertainment too!!

• mrssavageangel says:

Hahaha what a great way to always have a supply of cake! Only trouble I find is that then I want to eat it. All! Which is a problem when you want to live a more healthy lifestyle. It’s doing my weight loss no good at all!!! 😉 Glad you liked the post!

6. Gorgeous post. My eldest was like this when we first cooked together. She’s now 5 and I love hanging out with her in the kitchen cooking together. If you’re looking for more recipes designed for toddlers to cook, I found it so difficult to find age-appropriate ones, I ended up I writing my own! The Tickle Fingers Cookbook: recipes & tips for cooking with a toddler. Over from #LittleChefs.

7. Yay!! I love how much you both enjoyed it. It’s what baking together is all about (well, that, and a yummy treat at the end!). Thank you for linking up this lovely post with #LittleChefs and I’m looking forward to reading more of your baking adventures together.

• mrssavageangel says:

Thanks Lucy – it’s our new passion. I can’t believe it took us so long to try it! Thanks for running such a great linkup too!

8. The Free From Fairy says:

They look delicious and I’m sure you both had a lot of fun! I love cooking together!!

9. It’s great to get them baking, my son loves it and so do I! Moon sand sounds great too. I’ll have to try that. Thanks for linking with #freefromfridays

• mrssavageangel says:

Thank you Emma. Moon sand is great fun – particularly in the winter months when they can’t go out. I hope you and your son (and baby when it arrives) continue to enjoy baking!