“No beating about the bush this week. If you read this week’s other post you’ll know my head’s been well and truly out of the game this week. However, regardless of the cupcakes and the odd bowl of granola (I’m sorry Ben I can’t make you any more. I just can’t have the bloody stuff in the house without eating it ?) meals have been either syn free or on plan and therefore this week’s result was appreciated (even if it’s not what I hoped for when we last spoke)
A maintain. I can live with that. For now. That means I’m still at 12.5lb lost.
I got to talking to another Slimming World member last night who had had a very, very tiny gain. She was so disappointed to begin with, so I asked if she knew why she’d gained. She said she absolutely did and then started telling me about the great time she’d had that weekend. Then she leaned forwards and whispered, conspiratorially, that she should feel bad about the good time she’d had, but that she didn’t. It broke my heart. We should never, ever feel bad for having a good time. Even when we might see it on the scales the following week. When you gain and you honestly don’t know why it’s hard, and if you gain doing something you didn’t enjoy then that sucks, but either way it is what it is. But don’t ever feel bad for gaining weight having a brilliant time. That’s called life. It’s called living.
My favourite dinner this week has been another old Savage Family favourite we haven’t had for ages! It’s a low syn version of a BBC Good Food recipe and here it is:
Mexican Chicken Stew
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped into largish chunks
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste (I use the Santa Maria Hot Chipotle Paste for 1/2 syn per tbsp)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 skinless chicken breast
- 140g quinoa
- 2 chicken stock cube
- 1 x 400g can pinto beans, drained
- small bunch coriander
- Spray a deep frying pan with Frylight and fry the onions and peppers for a few mins until softened. Stir in the chipotle paste for a minute, followed by the tomatoes. Add a tomato can full of water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the whole chicken breasts and gently simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, for 20 mins, until the chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile…
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with the stock cubes. Add the quinoa and cook for 15 mins until tender, adding the beans for the final minute. Drain well and stir in the coriander and lime juice, then check for seasoning before covering to keep warm.
- Lift the chicken out onto a board and shred each breast using two forks. Stir back into the tomato sauce and season. Serve with the quinoa.
Serves two. As the whole recipe is 1.5 syns, I’d count it as 1 syn per person.
I’ve also used rice in place of the quinoa which works equally well. Or as happened on Tuesday when I couldn’t be bothered to make quinoa or rice when I got in from yoga, I just chucked the pinto beans in the stew and added the lime juice and coriander. It was delicious!
I’ve also been shopping this weekend. I desperately needed a new bra, so popped into my ever faithful Bravissimo in Guildford. I tried on about 10 different styles, but I still went back to the same one I already have. Funny isn’t it. Even the assistant seemed surprised that none of the other styles suited my shape! So I have gone up a cup size since last summer, but it’s more important to be properly supported in that area than get upset by a number (or in this case a letter!) :0 I also found a BEAUtiful poncho in Joules and was so, so tempted, but I knew the bras were going to take up most of my money so I left it. But I couldn’t stop thinking about it and when I got home I remembered I had almost exactly what it would cost coming to me from my freelancing. So I well and truly treated myself. Its like nothing else I own and I LOVE it! I looks fab with jeans and boots and will be lovely for spring. And the best part is I found this morning is that I can actually fit it under my coat, so I can wear it even on chillier (or wetter) days. Perfect!
So this coming week, myself and another girl at my group have agreed to aim for our 1 Stone award together. She has 1lb, I have 1.5lb to lose. It’s going to take some thought and planning (something I’ve not been so good on this week) but I know what needs to be done.
Happy Mother’s Day for Sunday to all the lovely mamas out there (even those of you in the US, who don’t celebrate until May). You’re all amazing and I hope you have a super day!