What to do with your Preschoolers Artwork

When Oscar started preschool back in January 2015, I was adamant I would keep and display any artwork he came home with. Within the first week he came home with enough daubs to wallpaper the house. I had no idea what dross the nursery would consider his art and pass on to me to deal with! OK, maybe that’s a bit harsh, some of it is beautiful in its own right. I actually do have one of his first paintings on the stair wall. I was struck by how much like a Japanese scroll it looked and I love displaying it. But seriously, most of it is enormous pieces of A3 size paper with a couple of splashes of paint on it. And quite quickly I realised these rolls of “art” we’re going to take over my house if I kept them all.

So last summer I came up with various way to use his art. Some of it I used as wrapping paper. This went down a storm with the recipients but the paper the nursery use is quite thick and wrapping with it was physically difficult. However, if you can manage it I highly recommend it. It looks wonderfully effective, particularly when tied with string. Some of it I did actually display. I had a mind to display one new piece a week, in a sort of gallery, but he brings home sooooooo much, that it didn’t really work as a thing. I gave some to grandparents and great grandparents, but again it did nothing to even dent the pile I had growing in the conservatory. And so that’s when I came up with the idea of consolidating it.

It worked so well and the resultant gift was so gratefully received that when the art work started to build up again this year, I decided to do the same again.

Just two terms worth of preschool artwork

Just two terms worth of preschool artwork. Each roll has several pieces of A3 paper, some with just a few strokes.

You will need a way to cut the artwork (I use my Scotch Saftey Cutter), plain A4 paper and glue.

You will need: a tonne of toddler paintings, a way to cut the artwork (I use my Scotch Safety Cutter), plain A4 paper and glue.

Start by cutting the artwork into strips.

Start by cutting the artwork into strips.

I like to cut across the lines, so you can still see the strokes.

I like to cut across the line of paint, so you can still see the brush strokes.

Start gluing them on the paper in a haphazard manner. The idea is to build up layer of colour.

Start gluing the strips onto the A4 paper in a haphazard manner. The idea is to build up layers of colour.

Glue the pieces so they lie over the edge of the paper

Glue the strips so they over lap the edge of the paper

Like so. When you feel you have enough colour you can trim these pieces off

Like so. When you feel you have enough colour you can trim the excess off

Et voila, one massive pile of art, is now one cool piece of design.

Et voila, one massive pile of art, is now one cool piece of design.

Now you can either frame it, which is what Ben’s mum did with the piece I made for her last summer. Or I am also thinking you could cut out shapes from the newly created artwork and frame those on a white background. Oscar loves fish at the moment and fish shapes cut out of this would look awesome in his room.

What do you do with all the artwork your children bring home? I’m always looking for new ideas!

Comments

1. What a fantastic idea….My girls are 13 and 8 so I have saved plenty of art work over the years…I have stored most of it in boxes upstairs 😀

• mrssavageangel says:

Thanks Kim! Aren’t you good for keeping it all these years. Maybe if we had a loft I might but our loft is Oscar’s room.

2. diaryofuem says:

Fab idea! We got sent home a page from a football magazine that had been torn up then stuck down. I’m sure Oliver loved it, but it went in the bin 🙈🙊

I’m gonna have to do this and send some to my parents! They keep some, which I think gets sent home in summer which is going to be interesting!

• mrssavageangel says:

Oh blimey expect an avalanche in that case! I swear O does four piece per session. It’s why I don’t feel bad about not often painting at home! Hope your parents like it!

3. Oh I was only thinking this morning what am I going to do with all of Leo’s art work..and now I know!what a great idea xx #familyfun

• mrssavageangel says:

Awesome! I’m so glad I could help. It really does look fab when it’s done – so much better than some of the stuff they come home with!

4. What a cool idea it’s like a mini piece of modern art. I have a washing line hung in my little utility bit off the kitchen and I display some things there. I have some scrapbooks I stick a few pieces in and the rest goes in the bin. I have heard of an app you can use where you make a photo to keep. If I remember the name I’ll let you know hun 🌸 TY for linking up to #FamilyFun 🎉

• mrssavageangel says:

I’ve heard of people taking photos too and if O’s stuff actually looked like anything maybe I would, but it’s mostly lines. That’s my boy! (the two or three pieces hes ever done that are of something I’ve kept of course!) I love the washing line idea though – I wish I had space for that!

5. That’s a great idea… though if Little Button saw me doing this to any of her pictures she would sob her heart out. Do you tell your little one or do it in secret? We tend to take photos of a selection, keep the originals of some, and the rest get recycled in various ways. We have tried using some as wrapping paper and gift tags too #FamilyFun

• mrssavageangel says:

To be honest, I’m not sure Oscar’s even aware I bring it all home. He’s not got any vested interest in his art. To him it’s just something to do at nursery. Of course if it upset him, I’d have to rethink! Gift tags is a great idea!

6. That’s a really sweet idea! I have loads and loads of ‘art work’ from my little one, I place them into scrapbooks though 🙂

#picknmix

7. This is SUCH good idea! We recently (ish) moved house and I just couldn’t bear to part with a ton of our little girl’s ‘artwork’. There’s a couple of bags stashed in a cupboard and I might well do this – although I can see her getting upset if I’ve chopped her gallery up! :s #picknmix

• mrssavageangel says:

Oh bless her. Perhaps she could chose some to keep whole and some to consolidate? It could actually be great fun to do together if your child is old enough! Congrats on the new house too!

8. twotinyhands says:

This is a brilliant idea. One I’ll store in the memory bank. R is only 10 months and hasn’t got the low down on paint yet. We have tried but it’s been a disaster every time! I’m not sentimental with things like this so I think I could manage this! #familufun

• mrssavageangel says:

Thank you so much Karen! Definitely one for a few years time! Seriously nursery will send home some much it’s always nice to know there’s an option to fall back on!

9. I love this! I was just looking at the ever expanding pile yesterday and wondering what to do with it. Thanks for the idea! #FamilyFun

10. Such a lovely idea. I always feel so guilty if I don’t keep everything! Thanks for linking to #picknmix