Am I ready for T2 Trainspotting?

A friend of mine shared this this morning

She said it was for anyone who had the poster on their wall, obsessively played the soundtrack on their CD player and “lived and breathed this film”. And that was me. I loved the original Trainspotting. It was probably the first film with truly adult themes, that I found and made my own. And I think a lot of my generation felt the same. We were obsessed. At the beauty and the horror. Because after all, what’s more horrifying than real life?

But that was 20 years ago. A long time past. I haven’t watched, or even thought about Trainspotting in years. In fact I think the last time it even crossed my mind, was on hearing that Danny Boyle was directing the Opening Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics. A fleeting “wasn’t he the guy that directed Trainspotting” moment and I moved on. Because Trainspotting and everything about it lived in the past. My past.

So I was really thrown, when I found they’d made a sequel. A real sequel, with the same cast, playing the same characters dealing with real 21st Century shit, the way the real people do. 20 years on in their lives. I can’t say I was happy or sad or excited or reviled. Thrown really was the best way to describe it. And that surprised me.

Part of me really, really wants to see this film. I watched the trailer and it really does look like it’ll break you and entertain you in equal measure, as much as the first ever did. But part of me really, really doesn’t. That part of me just wants to believe Renton got away and lived happily ever after. I know life doesn’t happen like that, we never truly get to out run our past, but that part of me, that 17 year old, 18 year old part of me, who was innocent and naive and hopeful, she still wants to believe we can break away and start again. This film meant so much to me at the time. It broke my heart and gave me hope. Hope in a time when things were bad in my own life. Not as bad as those depicted in the dirty streets of Glasgow I’ll grant you, but bad enough that I wanted to get away. Far away.

And I almost want to protect her naivety. Let her live in blissful ignorance. That the happy ending is all it was and all it takes. I want to shout at the filmmakers “You pulled me in with my suspension of disbelief long enough to care about these characters. To care that good stuff happened to them. So why are you now trying to show me that actually life happened to them? I don’t want to see Cinderella arguing with Prince Charming or having to take a crap with the door open because the kids are screaming at her. I can see that in real life ‘ta very much!”

Or maybe it’s this quote from Robert Carlyle

“I tell you, this film is going to be quite emotional for people. Because the film sort of tells you to think about yourself. You are going to be thinking: ‘Fuck. What have I done with my life?’”

Robert Carlyle, NME

And maybe I’m just too scared of what the answer might be.

7-713-zyka000z

Comments

1. I never saw the first one….but now I that that I probably should.

#effitfriday

• mrssavageangel says:

Hmm, if you didn’t see it then, you probably wont want to see it now. Its pretty hardcore. But let me know your thoughts if you do!

2. I’m so apprehensive about this sequel. I loved the original and so worried this new one will be crap and tarnish the first movie!
    #PicknMix

• mrssavageangel says:

That of course is also a worry. But I think the fact that the entire team are on board once again funnily enough probably means it will make it a more complete movie in its own right, without leaning too heavily on the original. Does that make sense?

3. My husband showed me the trailer last night and I am with you, I am just not sure I can watch it! x #picknmix

• mrssavageangel says:

I think I could handle the depravity and the desperation when I was 18. Now I’m more aware of how the world works I’m not sure I can just watch those terrible things for entertainment. I’m also pretty sure if the original came out today I wouldn’t be able to watch it.

4. Do you know what … I think I am one of the few people I know who hate that film. Just really never ‘did’ it for me for some reason 😉

Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix lovely

Stevie x

• mrssavageangel says:

I don’t think you’re alone in that Stevie. I think it either touched something in you or it didn’t. TBH if it came out today I’m pretty sure I’d hate it too! But that’s partly to do with the fact that I’m a different person now than I was then.

5. I loved train spotting and it always transports me back in time to being at uni. I’m with you about being nervous for the sequel for I’m also excited about seeing it.
    #Picknmix

• mrssavageangel says:

I think it reminds a lot of people of that time in their lives Alana. It was a long old time ago, but when I hear Born Slippy I’m straight back there!

6. I can’t do it. Couldn’t watch the first so def wont be able to do the second!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

7. I LOVE Trainspotting, it’s one of those films that stuck with me and that I watched more than once, quite a lot actually. I only very rarely watch a film more than once. I didn’t know they had made a sequel, like you I’m intrigued but also part of me doesn’t want to watch it.
    Thanks for linking to #PickNMix
    Eilidh x

8. I need to watch the first still, the only thing about it I’ve ever known is the toilet scene….

• mrssavageangel says:

Oh blimey if you haven’t seen it yet I wouldn’t bother. I wouldn’t enjoy seeing it for the first time being the person I am now.

9. Mmmm, sounds like it could be a depressing watch. Not sure about that! #picknmix